Submissions & Approvals
Are there any submission guidelines I should know about?
There's just one simple guideline - Your submission should educate the viewer about the basics (or advanced concepts) of a particular language holistically, not just a part of it. Think of it this way - Would this resource be a good starting point if you are setting out to learn that programming language from scratch?
So, the following are good examples:
- Basics of Python
The following are bad examples:
- Building a simple login/logout system in PHP
- How to use Twitter OAuth
Reputation and Badges
Q: How are reputation points getting awarded?
A: Events for which reputation points are given:
- On Joining Hackr: 10 points.
- Every upvote on your submitted tutorial: 10 points.
- Every upvote on your comment: 2 point.
- When you suggest a new category, and it got approved: 20.
- When your report an issue with a tutorial and the report got accepted: 2 points.
Note: If your submitted tutorial is archived due to any reason (outdated in future, broken link, etc.), it will not affect your reputation points.
Q:What are the different badges and how are they awarded?
A: A Bronze badge is awarded:
- When your submitted tutorial gets 5th upvote
- When any of your comment gets upvote score of 10
- When your 3rd submitted tutorial is approved on Hackr.io
- When your suggested category gets 2nd tutorial submitted (by people other than yourself)
- When your 2nd report is accepted When your 2nd report is accepted
A Silver badge is awarded:
- When your submitted tutorial gets 10th upvote
- When any of your comment gets upvote score of 20
- When your 5th submitted tutorial is approved on Hackr.io
- When your 5th report is accepted
A Gold badge is awarded:
- When your submitted tutorial gets 20th upvote
- When any of your comment gets upvote score of 40
- When your 10th submitted tutorial is approved on Hackr.io
- When your 10th report is accepted
I want to submit a link but I cannot find any relevant category. Should I still submit it?
Yes, you should. If your course/tutorial is approved, we'll create a new category especially for your submission and mail you a link as well.
I submitted a link but never heard from you again. What happened?
It typically takes anywhere between 1-3 days from the time you submit a link for our internal team to review it and approve it. If your link is approved, it would be visible on the relevant category page as well as on your own Hackr profile and you would get an email confirmation from us. In all other cases, we don't send out any notifications for now. We admit that's it bad and non-transparent, so we're working on a way to fix this.
Login & Signup
I don't want to use my Google account to sign-in. What should I do?
We started out with the idea that using a Google account to sign-in would be the simplest and fastest way to login to Hackr, but we realized on the way that it's not something that everyone is comfortable with. We'll be introducing more signup methods pretty soon.
Do you use affiliate links to the courses?
Yeah, for a few courses we do have affiliate links. Affiliate links don't impact our tutorials ranking algorithm anyhow.
My query has not been answered here. What should I do?
No problem, just shoot us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org. We personally read and respond to each and every email we get.