Merge sort is one of the most powerful sorting algorithms. Merge sort is widely used in various applications as well. The best part about these algorithms is that they are able to sort a given data in O(nLogn) complexity as against O(n2) complexity (we will soon see how) of bubble sort and selection sort. Moreover, merge sort is of interest because it creates an excellent case study for one of the widely used techniques in Computer Science – divide and conquer.
Sorting of data is one of the most fundamental, yet an important problem in computer science. Sorting forms a great case study for those who want to learn Data Structures and Algorithms.
What is Sorting – Definition
Often in real life, we are supposed to arrange data in a particular order. For instance, during our school days, we are told to stand in the queue based on our heights. Another example is of the attendance register at school/college which contains our names arranged in the alphabetical order.
C++ is a high-level object-oriented programming language that helps programmers write fast, portable programs. C++ provides rich library support in the form of Standard Template Library (STL).
C++ Language Features
Some of the interesting features of C++ are:
- Object-oriented: C++ is an object-oriented programming language. This means that the focus is on “objects” and manipulations around these objects. Information about how these manipulations work is abstracted out from the consumer of the object.
- Rich library support: Through C++ Standard Template Library (STL) many functions are available that help in quickly writing code. For instance, there are standard libraries for various containers like sets, maps, hash tables, etc.
- Speed: C++ is the preferred choice when latency is a critical metric. The compilation, as well as the execution time of a C++ program, is much faster than most other general purpose programming languages.
- Compiled: A C++ code has to be first compiled into low-level code and then executed, unlike interpreted programming languages where no compilation is needed.
- Pointer Support: C++ also supports pointers which are widely used in programming and are often not available in several programming languages.
The most important skill to learn in today’s world is to know how to write a computer program. Today, computers have entered in almost every industry. Be it the autopilot in an aircraft or digital speedometer in your bike, computers in various forms surround us. Computers are extremely useful for an organization to scale up well. Gone are the days of pen and paper. Today, in order to store and access your information, you absolutely need computers.
The programming and developer community are emerging at a rate faster than ever before. Various new programming languages are coming up that are suited for different categories of developers (beginners, intermediate, and experts) as well as for different use cases (web application, mobile applications, game development, distributed system, etc).
Let us take a look at best Programming Languages to learn in 2019 for a job and for future prospects: